Click to Home
Find Us:
Go To Search

AIC Legislative Blog

An up-to-date summary of key issues and decisions of importance to Idaho city officials before the Idaho Legislature.

View All Posts

Mar 09

City Officials Urged to Contact Senators in Support of HB 450 on Alcohol Beverage Control Funding

Posted on March 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM by Ken Harward

AIC-supported legislation to dedicate state alcohol license revenue to increase funding for the Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) Bureau of the Idaho State Police will be up for hearing Monday, March 12 in the Senate State Affairs Committee at 8:00 a.m.  We strongly encourage city officials to contact Senators in support of the legislation.  

House Bill 450 would dedicate approximately $1.5 million in revenue from state alcohol licenses for enforcement and administration by ABC.  The bill does not negatively impact city liquor revenue.

ABC processes over 8,000 license applications annually for sale of liquor, beer and wine by the drink; sale of package beer and wine; and for beer and wine wholesalers and distributors.

ABC is also responsible for enforcing Idaho alcohol beverage control laws, including: underage drinking compliance checks; checking licensed establishments for criminal activity such as gambling and prostitution; and assisting investigations by city and county law enforcement agencies.

Currently, ABC has one Detective to cover alcohol enforcement for the 5,000 licensed establishments throughout the state. The lack of resources for state enforcement has forced city and county law enforcement agencies, funded through property taxes, to perform most of the enforcement activity.

With adequate staffing, ABC could provide greater assistance to local law enforcement, improve compliance by licensed establishments, and provide better customer service to licensees. For these reasons, the Association of Idaho Cities strongly supports House Bill 450

You can contact Senators by phone, fax or email. 

By Phone: Call the Legislative Information Center at (208) 332-1000 or (800) 626-0471 and leave a message asking the legislator to call you. 

By Fax: Fax a letter to (208) 334-5397. Letters must have your name and address in order to be processed. 

By Email: You can find your Senators using this list and click the link to “Email” next to their name.